From personal experience, I share why I tried “Faster Way to Fat Loss®,” what it did for me, and how it can help anyone regardless of his/her weight.
Update: I have had so many questions since I shared this post a few months ago that I felt compelled to repost. I’ve addressed many questions that I’ve gotten since the original blog post:-)
Now that I am 53 and in the midst of menopause, staying fit has taken on new meaning. In my 20’s and 30’s, staying fit it was mostly about weight. Now that I am in midlife, stying fit it is about so much more than weight.
In midlife, I want to look and feel healthy. Well. Energized. Strong. When I have grandchildren, I want to have as much (or more) energy as they do so that I will be the best (and most fun) grandmother they could want.
Although food, cooking and entertaining are part of my DNA, the scrumptious, Southern recipes I love are not part of mt daily diet, but foods that I enjoy on occasion. Holidays. Celebrations. Parties.
For the routine, day to day way of life, I follow my version of Faster Way to Fat Loss. In this post, I share why I tried the program, what it did for me, and why I truly believe that it can benefit anyone. My experience is based on taking the program in my friend Deanna’s FWFL group.
Why I Joined Faster Way to Fat Loss
- My BMI (body mass index) was high and needed to drop (per my doctor). My weight was fairly low but my fat % was high (which is why FWFL is not about weight).
- I wanted to nail Intermittent Fasting (IF). In The Aging Brain: Proven Steps to Prevent Dementia and Sharpen Your Mind, the author (a neurologist) recommends IF to prevent dementia.
- I needed to initiate a diet “reset” for my entire family. We were all consuming way too many sweets and carbs; that needed to change. My choices affected more than just myself.
- I had considerable and noticeable belly fat (the unhealthiest kind of fat) that needed to go.
- Having a coach, a system, and a program is how I learn best. I knew this would be the best return on investment for the time and money spent.
- The price of the 6-week (plus prep week) Faster Way course ($200) cost less than one month’s gym membership. #nobrainerforme
What Faster Way to Fat Loss Did For Me
- It made mindful about my food choices. Using My Fitness Pal to log macros quickly showed me where I was making wrong choices and gave me an easy guide for making better ones.
- I learned to eat the right food in the right proportions. On certain days, my coach told me that I needed to eat MORE to keep my metabolism running. #pleasantsurprise
- It taught me everything I need to know about intermittent fasting, which I plan to practice to some (to some degree) for the rest of my life.
- It helped me lose a few pounds, and the belly fat was the first to go.
- It recalibrated my cravings. During the program, while avoiding my kryptonite foods (pasta and bread), I began to crave and love healthy foods and add them to my meal rotation (i.e. Spicy turkey meatballs with lemon zoodles).
- It helped me establish a healthy routine for normal days so that I will be free to indulge on the special occasions and holidays.
My Suggestions for Anyone Interested In FWFL
- Don’t skip prep week. I did and was on the struggle bus at first. Prep week gets you all prepared to hit the ground running on Day 1 of the program. You set up/learn My Fitness Pal, join the private Facebook group, learn the terms (macros, carb cycling, etc…).
- Set reminders to track/log all the information. I would forget to enter a meal in My Fitness Pal and have to go back and log earlier meal. Sticky notes helped me remember until I got in the swing.
- Learn the whole system, and keep what works for you. I benefitted from learning about all 3 aspects of FWFL, but intermittent fasting is what I’ll stick with for the long haul (along with a “loose” version of carb cycling.
- Take advantage of the full program. In addition to the daily coaching and feedback within my group, I took advantage of resources from the Faster Way to Fat Loss® online portal (which you gain access to as a member). The exercise on the portal are great.
Common Questions About Faster Way to Fat Loss.
Do you have to log everything you eat in My Fitness Pal for 6 weeks?
- In a perfect world, yes, and for optimal and quicker results, yes. BUT….many folks (myself included) eat the same foods daily for certain meals; this is easily stored in My Fitness Pal. Also, after a few weeks, most folks click into “intuitive eating” where you basically know how to eat without logging.
Are low carb days back to back or spread out during the week?
- Low carb days are Mondays & Tuesdays.
- Regular macro days are Wednesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays
- Low macro days are Fridays & Sundays.
Note: My coach Deanna told us that you can switch days to suit your schedule if necessary. She also told us we could change the times for the fasting window. (I am an early riser; my window was 6:00 pm-10:00 am).
Do you count calories and are meal times strictly within a schedule?
- You do not count calories in FWFL; you count macros (fats, proteins & carbs). Each person’s macros will be different based on body factors, goals, etc….
- The fasting and feasting windows are important but the start and stop times can be adjusted.
Is FWFL dairy and gluten free?
- Optimal results will come from restricting dairy and gluten during the program. I did not totally eliminate these; my results were good (but we all have different body types).
- Deanna reports that many of her students discover issues with gluten and /or dairy after eliminating them and upon adding them back after several weeks.
Faster Way to Fat Loss® is not a fad. Or a diet. Or a quick fix. FWFL is a LIFESTYLE. FWFL is about eating the right food, at the right time, and for the right reason.
Just like a gym membership, you’ll get out of this what you put into it. Deanna truly lives this lifestyle (I’ve seen it firsthand from being with her on many occasions) and has been an inspiration to me. My version of FWFL is not as strict, but I do follow IF and will carb cycle when I need to reset for weight loss.
I highly recommend Deanna’s group if you want daily, consistent feedback with a huge dose of encouragement and enthusiasm. Deanna practices a lifestyle of FWFL and has tons of helpful advice to make the process easier and more enjoyable.
For more information on Deanna’s group or to register for the next session, click here.