In my honest review, I share why I tried “Faster Way to Fat Loss,” what it did for me, and why I’ll probably take it again.
Update: My coach Deanna has a course starting April 26 which will finish June 5 (just in time for summer break). I’m planning to do this course as a returning VIP, and I’d love to see you there!
Full disclosure: I am 53 and smack dab in the middle of menopause. Prior to midlife, “staying fit” was mostly about trying to stay thin. Now that I am older and wiser, staying fit it is about so much more than weight.
Of course I want to look as good as possible~don’t we all? But equally important is being healthy. Strong. Energized. I want to finish the second half of life looking and feeling my best, and being strong and well for myself and my loved ones.
What about all the yummy (but unhealthy) recipes on my blog? Yes, I am a Southern gal; cooking and entertaining are part of my DNA and will be on our family table for holidays and other special occasions.
But because my family eats pretty much what I cook, and because I am sold on the FWTFL lifestyle, this is what I try to implement in our home on routine days. And thankfully, NO ONE complains or feels that they are missing out. Yay!!!
Why I Joined Faster Way to Fat Loss
- My BMI (body mass index) tested high at a physical several months earlier. My doctor told me that despite my normal weight range, my body fat was tipping into the high range and needed to be reduced to normal.
- Belly fat was a problem for me. Although lean, I had 5-6 pounds on my belly that would not budge no matter what.
- Intermittent Fasting (IF) was all the buzz; I wanted to see for myself. After voracious reading (see 3 of my books below), I was convinced that IF was a good thing, but I wanted to try it in real life and with a coach.
- My entire family needed a diet “reset.” We were all kind of still living on the holiday train~eating whatever whenever for the most part. I wanted to do a diet/lifestyle shift that I could use for the whole family.
- Having a coach, a system, and a program is how I learn best. I knew this would be the best return on investment for the time and money spent.
- Bang for the buck. For (less than) the cost of a month’s gym membership, I would get 6-weeks of fully detailed outlines, guides, and an online community and this wonderful FWTFL coach every step of the way.
What Faster Way to Fat Loss Did For Me
- I watched my belly fat disappear. This happened in the first two weeks, and this alone made the course worth it. Trust me; I had tried everything prior to this and to no avail.
- I became mindful about food. I leaned about macros (which are good and something we all need). My Fitness Pal became a valuable tool (rather than an annoyance).
- I was pleasantly surprised about portions. Interestingly, many of us in my FWTFL group were not eating enough and were taught by Deanna how to make sure we were eating enough (at the right time, of course).
- I adapted quickly to intermittent fasting, which I plan to practice to some (to some degree) for the rest of my life.
- It recalibrated my cravings. During the program, while avoiding my kryptonite foods (pasta and bread), I began to crave and love healthy foods and add them to my meal rotation (i.e. Spicy turkey meatballs with lemon zoodles).
- It helped me establish a healthy routine for normal days so that I will be free to indulge on the special occasions and holidays.
What exactly is Faster Way to Fat Loss?
Faster Way to Fat Loss is comprised of 3 key components: intermittent fasting, carb cycling, and counting macros. These concepts were new to me, but now that I have been though FWTFL, I can break them down easily.
Intermittent fasting may sound difficult, but for me, it is one of the easiest parts of FWTFL. Think of it as “short term” fasting as opposed to “long term” fasting (as in 24 hours or more). Intermittent fasting is simply an eating schedule (or scheduled eating). I like to refer to IF as having 2 windows~the feasting window and the fasting window. Fasting is typically 16 hours; feasting is 8 hours.
Carb cycling is basically rotating or assigning certain days to eat carbs. Some days you eat carbs; other days you eat few(er) carbs.On low-carb days, you’ll eat a small number of net carbs. (Net carbs are total carbs minus grams of fiber.) On regular carb days, you not only “can” eat more carbs, you actually “should” eat MORE healthy carbs and other macros. It is easy to understand after a few days into the FWTFL program.
Macros are nutrients that our bodies NEEDS to thrive and survive: protein, fats, and carbs. FWTFL is about getting ENOUGH of these nutrients, which calls for logging/counting them during the program. My Fitness Pal is the easiest and best way to do this.
Tips for Making the Most of FWFL
- Don’t skip prep week. I did and was on the struggle bus at first. Prep week gets you all prepared to hit the ground running on Day 1 of the program. You set up/learn My Fitness Pal, join the private Facebook group, learn the terms (macros, carb cycling, etc…).
- Set reminders to track/log all the information. I would forget to enter a meal in My Fitness Pal and have to go back and log earlier meal. Sticky notes helped me remember until I got in the swing.
- Learn the whole system, and keep what works for you. I benefitted from learning about all 3 aspects of FWFL, but intermittent fasting is what I’ll stick with for the long haul (along with a “loose” version of carb cycling.
- Choose the best coach for you. My coach Deanna was perfect for me~similar in age and dedicated to a lifestyle of health and wellness. Make sure your coach is someone who will be easy for you to connect with and learn from throughout the program.
Faster Way to Fat Loss Q & A
Do you have to log everything you eat in My Fitness Pal for 6 weeks?
- For optimal and quicker results, yes. BUT….many folks (myself included) eat the same foods daily for certain meals; this is easily stored in My Fitness Pal and can just be “updated” each time. Also, after a few weeks, most folks click into “intuitive eating” where logging into MFP is not as necessary.
Are low carb days back to back or spread out during the week?
- Low carb days are Mondays & Tuesdays.
- Regular macro days are Wednesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays
- Low macro days are Fridays & Sundays.
Can you rearrange/switch low carb and macro days on FWTFL to suit your schedule?
Although it is best to follow the plan as closely as possible, my coach Deanna said that you can switch days to suit your schedule if/when necessary.
Can you choose the fasting window that works best for you?
If you want to change the typical fasting window from 8 pm. to noon the next day, that is fine!!! In fact, my fasting window is usually 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 a.m. (unless we have special dinner plans on a certain day).
Do you count calories and are meal times strictly within a schedule?
- You do not count calories in FWFL; you count macros (fats, proteins & carbs). Each person’s macros will be different based on body factors, goals, etc….
- The fasting and feasting windows are important but the start and stop times can be adjusted.
Is FWFL dairy and gluten free?
- Optimal results will come from restricting dairy and gluten during the program. I did not totally eliminate these; my results were good (but we all have different body types).
- Deanna reports that many of her students discover issues with gluten and /or dairy after eliminating them and upon adding them back after several weeks.
What are the best foods to eat on the FWTFL lifestyle?
This is easy to remember. On the FWTFL lifestyle, you can eat anything that came from the ground or has a mother! This means Whole Foods~healthy, fresh, nutritious, unprocessed good for you foods.
What are some healthy recipes that fit into the FWTFL lifestyle?
If you want to see recipes from the FWTFL site itself, click here to see options. Below are some of my personal recipes along with a video in which I share some easy weeknight options for FWTFL meals.
- Healthy Turkey Sausage Sweet Potato Breakfast Cups
- Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Skillet Meal
- Healthy Italian-Style Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Garlic Butter, Lemon & Herb Slow Cooked Turkey Breast
- Spicy Turkey Meatballs with Lemon Zoodles
- Turkey Chili with Beans
- Berbere Turmeric Roasted Vegetable Medley
- Blackened Mahi Mahi Filets that are Company Worthy
What are some healthy snacks that fit into the FWTFL lifestyle?
There are many healthy snacks that fit into the FWTFL lifestyle. Deanna and I discuss some of our favorites in the video below.
Can men take FWTFL?
Yes they can! Click here to register yourself or someone else in a FWTFL men’s group.
Can I take FWTFL again?
Yes you can! If you have taken the course before, click here to register again as a VIP and get a discounted rate.
Faster Way to Fat Loss® is not a fad. Or a diet. Or a quick fix. FWFL is a LIFESTYLE. FWFL is about eating the right food, at the right time, and for the right reason. In the video below, I share some of my favorite easy low carb meals that I cook for my family as we all practice the FWTFL lifestyle.
Just like a gym membership, you’ll get out of this what you put into it. I have never embraced something as easily and happily as the FWTFL lifestyle. My version of it, along with my favorite exercise (reformer Pilates) and walking, keeps me where I want to be. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments of the post. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!