This Spicy Shrimp & Eggplant Brio’s copycat recipe features a layer of crispy eggplant topped with a Cajun spicy sauce, buttery sautÃ©ed shrimp, and tangy fresh parmesan. Outstanding!!!
If you are a fan of Brio’s Tuscan Grill’s spicy shrimp & eggplant, this Brio’s copycat recipe is for you! It is my adaptation of this recipe which calls for making eggplant cutlets from fresh. My quicker version uses frozen:-)
This yummy dish is an appetizer that will draw raves. I took this to a dinner party over the weekend, and everyone loved it. Even being covered in foil and transported for 30 minutes, it still tasted great (but would be optimal served immediately after cooking).
This recipe is basically making and then combining three separate elements: 1) eggplant cutlets, 2) spicy sauce, and 3) sautÃ©ed shrimp. The recipe looks more complex than it is; once you break it down, it is quite simple.
Make ahead: The spicy sauce can be made up to a day ahead and kept in the fridge until needed. When making the dish, it just needs to be reheated before adding to the pan with the sautÃ©ed shrimp.
Eggplant Cutlets: For those who are far savvier than I, you can definitely make your cutlets from fresh eggplant per the original recipe. This would be the most like Brio’s version, as I am quite sure they make theirs from scratch. If you opt to use frozen, Dominix and Trader Joe’s are both good brands (T.J.’s is my fave of the two).
Shrimp: Since I keep frozen shrimp on hand, I just thaw what I need beforehand using the cold water thaw method. I use raw, peeled shrimp and just pull off the tails before sautÃ©ing them.
Spicy Sauce: This is what makes this a “Brio’s copycat recipe,” and it is literally yummy enough to drink. For the Cajun seasoning, I use one that my Cajun friend Duane makes (that isn’t sold in stores), but Tony Chachere’s Creole is what I would use otherwise.
I serve this spicy shrimp & eggplant in my fave extra large 11″ diameter quiche dish, a size that is not easy to find. Mine is from Wayfair and comes with a smaller size included. I link to my 11″ dish along with several 10″ dishes below.
I hope this recipe thrills all of my fellow Brio’s spicy shrimp & eggplant lovers! If you make this, please let me know how you like it by leaving comments at the end of this post. I love hearing from readers:-) As always, thank you SO very much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 Box Frozen Eggplant Cutlets
- Olive Oil Spray
- SPICY SAUCE:
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB chopped garlic
- 2 TB chopped onion (froze is fine)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TB Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 TB lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TB white wine
- 1-2 TB fresh parmesan
- 20-24 large shrimp (thaw if frozen)
- 1 TB butter
- 1 TB oil (I use EVOO)
- Cajun seasoning (to taste)
- 1 TB fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (or per instructions on eggplant box).
- Line cookie sheet with parchment; lay eggplant slices on top.
- Lightly mist eggplant with olive oil spray.
- Bake until crisp, turning after 10-12 minutes (total time will be about 25 minutes).
- Allow eggplant pieces to cool enough to handle; cut pieces into halves.
- Arrange eggplant pieces in shallow quiche or baking dish.
- SPICY SAUCE:
- In skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion, garlic, bay leaf and Cajun seasoning until onion is slightly caramelized.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add lemon juice, water, Worcestershire sauce and wine, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until mixture reduces in volume by half.
- Discard bay leaf; set sauce aside until ready to cook dish.
- In sautÃ© pan, melt butter and oil over medium heat.
- Season shrimp lightly with Cajun seasoning.
- Saute shrimp approximately 2 minutes per side or until just done (do not overcook).
- Add lemon juice and SPICY SAUCE to skillet; stir until combined.
- Spoon shrimp and spicy sauce atop eggplant cutlets.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Keep warm until serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1491mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g