Here’s how to make the BEST and EASIEST pumpkin roll, with no towel, no mess, and no cracks!!!
Fall means pumpkin recipes.
Let’s face it. Even if the weather isn’t cooperating, the advent of Fall just makes all of us yearn for the sweet, spicy dishes made with pumpkin. This post has one of my favorite pumpkin recipes. It is a pumpkin roll (or pumpkin roulade) that is absolutely delicious AND beautiful. This is the perfect pumpkin dish for entertaining. A few other pumpkin recipes of mine are below if you want to check them out also.
Is a pumpkin roll the same as a pumpkin roulade?
A pumpkin roll is often referred to as a roulade, a French term referring to either a thin piece of meat rolled around a filling or a souffle-like cake that is rolled around a sweet filling. Whether you call it a roll or roulade, you will always have a fabulous dessert fit or entertaining.
A pumpkin roll is delicious and impressive.
Not only is a pumpkin roll delicious; it is an impressive dessert on a Fall table. The roll looks beautiful on a platter, and the slices look beautiful on a plate. The flavors of spicy-sweet pumpkin cake and rich cream cheese frosting are always a winning combination.
How to roll a pumpkin roll without breaking it.
The secret to easily and perfectly rolling a pumpkin roll (roulade) is PARCHMENT PAPER! I used a dish towel for years until I learned this method. It is easier, faster, more foolproof, and far less messy (skip the powdered sugar).
- Line the bottom of the jellyroll cake pan with parchment paper, leaving a little overhang on the long edges, so that it’s easier to lift the cake from the pan when it’s done baking.
- Next, spread the cake batter on top of the parchment paper in the pan and smooth it into an even layer. Bake it for about 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- When the cake is finished baking, carefully lift the cake from the pan and roll the hot cake up inside the parchment paper. Rolling the cake in parchment paper is tons easier than turning the cake onto a towel and risking cracks or having it stick to the towel.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, rolled up in the parchment paper, on top of a wire cooling rack. Once it’s cool unroll the pumpkin roll and discard the parchment paper. Spread the cream cheese filling all over the top of the pumpkin roll and roll it back up into a log (without the parchment paper).
- You’ll end up with a beautiful, delicious pumpkin roll to serve on your holiday table.
Can you make a pumpkin roll ahead of time?
Yes! Which makes Fall entertaining a breeze! All you do is prepare the pumpkin roll per the recipe below. Then, simply keep the pumpkin roll refrigerated for 1-2 days. You can also make the pumpkin roll up to the point of rolling it in parchment. Then, refrigerate the pumpkin roll (rolled in parchment) a day ahead. The next day, complete the recipe by rolling the cake with cream cheese.
Do you have to refrigerate a pumpkin roll?
Because the pumpkin roll has cream cheese icing in it, you’ll want to keep it in the fridge. A benefit of keeping it in the fridge is that it will slice more easily when chilled.
How to freeze a pumpkin roll.
Here are some tips for making and freezing a pumpkin roll.
- Make the pumpkin roll and allow to cool completely.
- Place the pumpkin roll on a cookie sheet; freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Place frozen roulade in a large BPA free 2-gallon freezer bag; remove air.
- Freeze roulade for up to 4 weeks.
- Thaw in the fridge or on the counter for at least 2 hours before serving.
I hope this recipe turns out well for you; I’d love to hear from you if you make it (and please send pics)! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 C Sugar
- 3/4 C plain flour
- 1 t. Baking Powder
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- 1/2 t. Ginger
- 1/4 t. ground nutmeg
- Pinch Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 8 Oz. Cream Cheese
- 2 T. Butter (softened)
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1/2 finely chopped pecans
- 1 C Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray containing flour (i.e. Baker's Joy).
- Mix the first 7 dry ingredients in a bowl; toss to combine.
- Mix wet ingredients~eggs & pumpkin; add to dry ingredients. Stir until smooth and well incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 15 mins.)
- While the cake is in the oven, beat all FILLING ingredients until smooth. Put the prepared filling to the side.
- While the cake is still hot, roll it up in the parchment paper and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, unroll and fill with Cream Cheese mixture, roll back up, and dust with Powder Sugar.
- Place the roulade log in the freezer to chill completely. (This will help you cut the roulade without making a mess).
- Once chilled, remove the roulade log from the freezer and cut it into slices.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 263Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 75mgSodium 160mgCarbohydrates 38gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 30gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 4g