This pumpkin cake rolled with cream cheese filling (roulade) looks fancy,” but it is surprisingly easy to make and will be a show stopper on any dessert table.
Pumpkin Roulade is Perfect for Fall Entertaining
This pumpkin roulade with cream cheese filling is a slight adaptation of a recipe shared by Kathy G. & Company, a well-known Birmingham-based catering company. When I saw this recipe years ago, I made it for a dinner party, and it got RAVES from guests! It is fabulous!
What is a Roulade?
Roulade is a French term referring to either a thin piece of meat rolled around a filling of some sort (i.e breadcrumbs, mushrooms, cheese) or a souffle like cake that is rolled around a typically sweet filling. Although a roulade looks complicated, it really isn’t. It just requires a few simple steps that anyone can easily master.
Tips for Rolling Cake for a Roulade (Without Breaking)
The following tips will make the process more foolproof.
- Roll the cake while it is still warm.
- Dust the (clean) towel liberally with powdered sugar before rolling the cake.
- Leave the cake “rolled” in the towel for at least 15 minutes so that it will cool.
- When cooled, gently and slowly unroll the cake.
Pumpkin Roulade is Make Ahead and Freezer Friendly
Here are some tips for making pumpkin roulade ahead and freezing it for later.
- Make the roulade and allow to cool completely.
- Place roulade on a cookie sheet; flash freeze the roulade for at least 2 hours.
- Place frozen roulade in a large BPA free 2 gallon freezer bag; remove air.
- Freeze roulade for up to 6 weeks.
- Thaw in the fridge or on the counter for at least 2 hours before serving.
I hope this recipe turns out well for you; I’d love to hear from you if you make it (and please send pics)! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 C Sugar
- 3/4 C plain flour
- 1 t. Baking Powder
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- 1/2 t. Ginger
- 1/4 t. ground Cloves (I used Nutmeg)
- Pinch Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 2/3 C Canned Pumpkin
- FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 8 Oz. Cream Cheese (may use reduced fat)
- 2 T. Butter (softened)
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1/2 Finely Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 1 C Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment and spray.
- Mix first 7 CAKE ingredients in bowl.
- Mix Eggs with Pumpkin and add to dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 15 mins.)
- While the cake is in the oven, beat all FILLING ingredients until smooth. Put the prepared filling to the side.
- After the cake comes out of the oven, lay kitchen towel down and sprinkle Powder Sugar over the towel.
- While the cake is still hot, roll it up in the towel and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, unroll and fill with Cream Cheese mixture, roll back up, and dust with Powder Sugar.
- Place the roulade log in the freezer to chill completely. (This will help you cut the roulade without making a mess).
- Once chilled, remove the roulade log from the freezer and cut it into slices.
Amount Per Serving Calories 263 Total Fat 11g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 75mg Sodium 160mg Carbohydrates 38g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 30g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g