This pumpkin cake rolled with cream cheese filling (roulade) looks fancy,” but it is surprisingly easy to make and will be a show stopper on any dessert table.
Pumpkin Roulade is Perfect for Fall Entertaining
This pumpkin roulade with cream cheese filling is a slight adaptation of a recipe shared by Kathy G. & Company, a well-known Birmingham-based catering company. When I saw this recipe years ago, I made it for a dinner party, and it got RAVES from guests! It is fabulous!
What is a Roulade?
Roulade is a French term referring to either a thin piece of meat rolled around a filling of some sort (i.e breadcrumbs, mushrooms, cheese) or a souffle like cake that is rolled around a typically sweet filling. Although a roulade looks complicated, it really isn’t. It just requires a few simple steps that anyone can easily master.
Tips for Rolling Cake for a Roulade (Without Breaking)
The following tips will make the process more foolproof.
- Roll the cake while it is still warm.
- Dust the (clean) towel liberally with powdered sugar before rolling the cake.
- Leave the cake “rolled” in the towel for at least 15 minutes so that it will cool.
- When cooled, gently and slowly unroll the cake.
Pumpkin Roulade is Make Ahead and Freezer Friendly
Here are some tips for making pumpkin roulade ahead and freezing it for later.
- Make the roulade and allow to cool completely.
- Place roulade on a cookie sheet; flash freeze the roulade for at least 2 hours.
- Place frozen roulade in a large BPA free 2 gallon freezer bag; remove air.
- Freeze roulade for up to 6 weeks.
- Thaw in the fridge or on the counter for at least 2 hours before serving.
I hope this recipe turns out well for you; I’d love to hear from you if you make it (and please send pics)! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 C Sugar
- 3/4 C plain flour
- 1 t. Baking Powder
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- 1/2 t. Ginger
- 1/4 t. ground Cloves (I used Nutmeg)
- Pinch Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 2/3 C Canned Pumpkin
- FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 8 Oz. Cream Cheese (may use reduced fat)
- 2 T. Butter (softened)
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1/2 Finely Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 1 C Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment and spray.
- Mix first 7 CAKE ingredients in bowl.
- Mix Eggs with Pumpkin and add to dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 15 mins.)
- While the cake is in the oven, beat all FILLING ingredients until smooth. Put the prepared filling to the side.
- After the cake comes out of the oven, lay kitchen towel down and sprinkle Powder Sugar over the towel.
- While the cake is still hot, roll it up in the towel and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, unroll and fill with Cream Cheese mixture, roll back up, and dust with Powder Sugar.
- Place the roulade log in the freezer to chill completely. (This will help you cut the roulade without making a mess).
- Once chilled, remove the roulade log from the freezer and cut it into slices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g