How to make my favorite chopped Greek salad and homemade vinaigrette.
This Greek chopped salad is a fresh, delicious & colorful side that is easy to make ahead for a dinner party or transport to a small group gathering.
This Greek chopped salad is one of my go-to salads for feeding a crowd. It is super easy to prep ahead of time and to stretch to feed a ton of folks without breaking the bank.
Making a salad for a crowd can be expensive~especially when you use gourmet lettuces, fresh fruit, glazed nuts, etc…This Greek chopped salad is fairly cost-efficient to make in large amounts, especially if you buy the romaine at Costco I LOVE their baby Romaine hearts; they are small, pre-washed, and FAB. #worthatriptocostcojustfortheselettuces
Make ahead: I make this salad often for our young married couples’ small group. Since we meet in my friend Deb’s home, I always prep ahead so that it is ready to go when I head to her house. I do the following:
- chop all ingredients early in the day.
- put ingredients in separate Ziploc bags.
- mix dressing (if making homemade) and put in a jar.
- place all other ingredients (cheese, croutons, black olives) in small Ziplocs. NOTE: I drain all “wet ingredients” on a paper towel before placing them in the bag (olives, tomatoes, anything with moisture)
- put all ingredients, along with salad tongs, into the salad bowl and into the fridge. Since I serve this in a large wooden bowl, I have to clear a space in my fridge to make room.
The bullet list might seem elementary or silly to those who are more organized and capable of throwing things together on the fly~but that isn’t me. I have to do all of my thinking, prepping, planning, etc….early in the day. Once school is out and my day gets busy, I don’t want to be thinking about making a salad!! #ineedmargin #doallprepbeforenoonismymojo
My homemade Greek Dressing.
It is so easy to make homemade Greek dressing, and I share my recipe below. If you want an easy option, Good Seasons makes a great Greek dressing packet to which you just add oil, vinegar & water.
- 1/2 cup good EVOO
- 2/3 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Add all ingredients to a bowl or bottle.
- Whisk until oil is emulsified and dressing is well combined.
- Keep up to two weeks in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 130Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 0mgSodium 291mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 0g
My Salad Bowl & Serving Pieces: I have several bowls and serving pieces that I use when serving salad to a crowd. The ones in the photos are no longer available (the serving pieces came from Anthropologie; the bowl came from Home Goods a year or so ago). I do have several similar pieces that are available; scroll through the images below (use arrows to the right or left).
I hope this fave salad of mine comes in handy for you the next time salad is on your menu:-) I’d love to hear from you if you make it or your own version. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
Greek Chopped Salad
- 2-3 heads Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2-3 peppers (red, yellow or orange), chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled & chopped
- 1 zucchini, peeled & chopped
- 1-2 bags cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
- 6-8 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup or so croutons or Parmesan crisps (I use Wisps from Costco)
- Greek dressing (prepared or homemade)
- Chop lettuce into small, uniform pieces.
- Place lettuce in bottom of salad bowl.
- Layer other ingredients as follows:
- zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, black olives, onions, croutons, cheese
- Add dressing just before serving; toss well.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 464Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 122mgSodium 1363mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 23g
I am so glad you liked it, Katherine! Isn’t (mostly) make ahead wonderful? I made this salad too for guests last night. I love love love it!!!
This was so good!! We had my family over for my moms birthday and made it for a side. My new go-to salad for entertaining! I chopped everything a few hours ahead of time and assembled right before serving and was so fresh. Served with Zoe’s dressing as suggested:) I put red onions and black olives on the side because I wasn’t sure if everyone liked those- we have some red onion haters in our family haha. Everyone loved the salad!
Cass; you are so funny!!! Love you, friend!!!! XoXo
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!!
(Well salad dinner, but you get the idea!). It’s delish!